Click here for more Kentrosaurus Pictures
Kentrosaurus was a slow-moving herbivore (plant-eater) that lived
in Africa during the late Jurassic period,
about 156 to 150 million years ago.
It was about 16 feet (4.9 meters) long, and weighed around 2 tons.
Kentrosaurus may have been slow-moving, but it was well protected from predators
by its armor.
Its back was covered with a double row of triangular bony plates on each
side of the backbone. At the rear, the plates were then replaced with pairs
of sharp spikes, about 2 feet (60 centimeters) long, that went from the lower
back down to the tip of the tail. There was also a pair on extra long
spikes on the hips.
Kentrosaurus was one of the
brought back from the
German expedition to East Africa.
Edwin Henning, who was one of the paleontologists on this expedition, published
the first full description of Kentosaurus in
A nearly complete skeleton of Kentrosaurus once stood in the Humboldt
Museum in the University of
Berlin, however, unfortunately, this was
lost as a result of bombing during World War II.
Although it usually believed that Kentrosaurus died out millions of years
there are some cryptozoologists (people who search for
rumored or mythical animals whose existence is uncertain) have suggested
that "Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu", an animal claimed to be known
to villagers in the Northern part of the Republic of Congo,
might just be a living Kentrosaurus.
However, as yet, there does not seem to be any
definitive proof of this.
For more information see
Kentrosaurus was a herbivore (plant-eater) that lived from 156 to 150 million years ago
Related Information & Resources
Related Web Sites
Here is a summary of some of the key facts about Kentrosaurus:
- Kentrosaurus was a genus of dinosaur.
- "Kentrosaurus" means "pointed lizard".
- Kentrosaurus was a member of the Ornithischia ("bird-hipped") order of dinosaurs. What this means, is that although Kentrosaurus was not closely related to birds, it did have similarly shaped pelvic bones.
- Kentrosaurus lived between about 156 million years ago and 150 million years ago, during the Jurassic period.
- Kentrosaurus lived in Africa.
- Kentrosaurus was a herbivore (plant-eater).
- Kentrosaurus was about 16 feet (4.9 meters) long.
- Kentrosaurus weighed about 2 tons.
Here are some books from Amazon.com:
Disclosure: Products details and descriptions provided by Amazon.com. Our company may receive a payment if you purchase products from them after following a link from this website.
Linking to This Page
We do hope that you find this site useful.
We welcome people linking to this website or citing us.